[Feature request] Same ordering across different lists

I have a normal list that I need to sort tasks manually for clarity (let’s call that list “backlog”).

I also have multiple smartlists gravitating around “backlog”. My goal with those smartlist is to filter only some task (ex: #backlog–mobile-app), or to display different columns of attributes depending on different contexts (ex: #backlog–grooming).

My pain is that the smartlist don’t use the same sorting as the normal list, while all of them are sorted Manually.

I would like to be able to order a smartlist based on a simple list order. Or even better, a ‘view’ system (something like in Notion databases) that would allow me to kill the smartlists and make room in my already clutered sidebar :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Guillaume,

I’m confused as this is supposed to be the current behavior of ordering. Basically, there is only one task ordering across the entire workspace that every list and smartlist share.

Is the problem that the task ordering is also shared with some lists you don’t want?

@michael from what I’ve seen it doesn’t seem to work this way either. There doesn’t seem to be a concept of a “global rank”. Is there maybe a demo of this or some other way to get insight into how we can use it.

Last week we shipped local ordering, which means every list is now ordered individually (which seems what you were already experiencing — weird).

We are considering to allow lists to share an ordering as an option in the “Sort by” menu.

1 Like

That would be great to have both. Thanks @michael

1 Like

+1 would really like this feature

Is there any update on this?
I also have a master Kanban board that needs to be manually sorted - to correctly reflect the priority of the tasks for my team.
I also find that there are second and third smartlists that I would like to have sorted by in the order that tasks appear in the master Kanban board.

When I select to sort by attribute on the second and third lists I’d like to be able to pick “order on another List” and then pick the master list.

The use case is fairly fundamental functionality provided by every other backlog management software I’ve ever used.

As a user I need to be able to set the order of my tasks on a master list and see that order reflected in my secondary views which have been filtered in various ways to enable fast and efficient team execution.